Last night we decided to make a crustless quiche - which is basically a glorified baked omelette. It's really great if you're trying to cut down on carbs or banting.
Ingredients:8 large free-range eggs
500g cubed butternut (I usually get the diced butternut from Woolworths food and then cube into pieces smaller)
1 Round of Feta Cheese
A splash of low-fat milk
A sprinkle of Smoked Chilli Flakes (can be left out if you don't like spicy foods)
Fresh Rocket Leaves
Salt to taste
|From Left to Right: Roasted Pumpkin, Crumbed Feta, Cubed Fried Bacon, Fried Mushrooms|
- Roast the diced pumpkin for about 35 min on 180˚C.
- While the pumpkin is roasting, fry the bacon - I use no oil as the bacon fries nicely in its own fat. I prefer my bacon a bit more on the crispier side, but this is preferential. Keep the bacon fat in the pan. Set aside and let cool for a bit.
- Fry the mushrooms in the Bacon fat until soft and brown. Set aside and let cool for a bit.
- In a large bowl, crack the 8 eggs, add a splash of milk, a sprinkle of smoked chilli flakes and whisk the ingredients until mixed.
- The bacon should be cool now, so you can use kitchen scissors to cut it into cube/strip pieces.
- Mix the pumpkin, bacon and mushrooms into the egg mixture.
- Crumble some Feta into the mixture and mix together
- Apply some cook 'n bake to the fluted flan dish - I always use this to avoid things sticking.
- Pour the mixture into a Fluted Flan dish and bake for 30 minutes at 180˚C
- Sprinkle some fresh Rocket leaves on top just before serving
- Bon Appétit!
I used my 28cm Fluted Flan Dish from Le Creuset in Marseille Blue and accompanied the dish with a jug of cold lemon-infused water in my Cool Mint Jug. The colours paired up really great on our table!
The best part about this dish is that you can prep the butternut, bacon, mushroom and feta mixture the night before and quickly whip up this quiche for breakfast.